The Ten-day Course of Philosophy of Islamic Art
- 20-29 August 2017
- 29 Mordad – 7 Shahrivar, 1396
Islamic art is a mystical and marvelous form of art spread widely geographically, across various nations. Iranian art, as a sub-category of Islamic art, has had an influential role in Islamic history and used to be the dominant form of art in many Islamic territories. Iranian Islamic art developed out of the beliefs, traditions, customs and lifestyles of the inhabitants of these areas. Iranian Islamic art always applies a symbolic language which shows philosophical truths governing the civilization of the ancient land of Iran. So expressing and understanding the all the aspects of such art need both historical analysis and philosophical and spiritual study.
Therefore, along with chance to learn about the history and various styles of Islamic art works (the exoteric approach), the Course of the Philosophy of Islamic Art provides an opportunity to get acquainted with their cultural, religious and anthropological roots (the esoteric approach or Hikmah) in order to understand the noble world of Islamic art.
program involves the following activities: theoretical and practical lessons, presentations of various essays about Islamic Art, visits to museums and the great masterpieces of Islamic architecture, familiarisation with the social and traditional culture of Iran through participation in religious festivals, experiencing Iranian traditional music, and visits to bazaars, mosques, religious centers and other places of relevance and interest.
2. Program details
|Date & Locations||Topics||Topics||Extracurricular|
(9 – 11)
|Ideas of Islamic Art
Dr. Gholamreza Avani
|National Museum of Iran
(14 – 18)
|Techniques of Islamic painting
(9 – 11)
|Philosophical bases of Islamic Painting
Dr. Amir Tahmasebi
(11:30 – 13)
|Reza Abbasi Museum
Sayed Amir Koushei
|Museum of Music
|Philosophical Bases of Music
Dr. Hooman Asadi
(14 – 16)
|Philosophical bases of calligraphy
Dr. Hamidreza Ghelichkhani
|Trip to Qom
A Visit to the shrine of Fatima Masoumeh and its museum
|Trip to Kashan
|Kashan Fin Garden Bath
|Lunch ( Ameriha Historical House)
Boroojerdiha Historical House
Trip to Isfahan
|Philosophical Bases of Sacred Architecture
Dr. Hamidreza Farzanyar
(14 – 15)
|Visiting Sacred Architecture of Isfahan (Jameh Mosque of Isfahan )
Museum of Contemporary Art
|Ritual Practices in Islamic Art
Dr. Seyed Razi Mousavi Gilani
(9 – 11)
|___________||Naqsh-e Jahan Square, Ālī Qāpū Palace, Chehel Sotoun Palace
|Comparing Islamic and Christion Art
Dr. Amir Kooshei
|A friendly discussion on the course findings and out comes
|Dinner & Closing|
3. Recommended Sources for Pre-reading
i. Islamic Studies:
- Shi’ite Islam by Sayed Muhammad Hossein Tabataba’i
- Following Muhammad: Rethinking Islam in the Contemporary World (Islamic Civilization and Muslim Networks) by Carl W. Ernst
ii. Islamic art Studies:
- The Wisdom of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani | Download PDF
- Methodology of Islamic Art by Seyyed Razi Mousavi Gilani | Download PDF
- Islamic Art and Spirituality, Seyyed Hossein Nasr, ISBN: 0887061753, 9780887061752
- Art of Islam, Language and Meaning, Titus Burckhardt, ISBN: 1933316659, 9781933316659
4. Fee Payment
|€1500||March 15-August 1, 2017|
- The ten-day program fee (Except Flight and Visa payments) includes: airport transfers, program transport and travel, housing arrangements, meals, lectures and presentations, program pamphlets or handbook, visits to museums, historical sites and art centers.
- All hotel rooms are booked as double. For single room it is needed to pay additional money: 32 euro per night.
- The application for candidacy for Fellowship is in addition to registration for the program and it is needed to write two letters entitled as:
- 100 euro must be paid as a deposit on booking in order to confirm the applicant’s place on the course. The balance must be paid IN CASH in Iran before the start of the course. Deposits shall not be refunded for cancellations.
5. Teaching Outcomes
The course is a great way to experience Iranian culture and civilization and by the end of the course, it is expected the participants to be able to analyze and criticize Islamic art i.e. not only they pay attention to the aesthetic aspects of Islamic art works but also study them profoundly and philosophically.
To participate in the ten-day program, applicants are required to agree to:
- Make a presentation in all classes and Workshops/discussions organized as part of the program.
- ii. Submit a final report to ISOA by September 30, 2017, which describes the experiences and findings on the course. The final reports become the property of ISOA to be posted to its website for use by other applicants.
All students receive a graduation certificate upon completion of their program, which is granted by University of Tehran and Islamic School of Art (ISOA).
8. Required Documents (Electronic copies required)
- Resume: A list of your current academic position, educational achievements, and professional activities. Provide details regarding previous curriculum and/or staff development experiences.
- A completed form of ISOA Short term course. Click here to download the form.
Applications must include all required documents and be submitted no later than 15 Jun, 2017 to the Islamic School Of Art ( ISOA), the course of Hikmah of Islamic Art. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further information please contact Maryam Kheradmand (International communication coordinator)
Or Muhammad Hossein Ashtiani (Director of scientific cooperation office and international affairs) [email protected]